Today this email came from the folks at Bunkspeed, and as someone who has used in the past but doesn’t really use it any more, it doesn’t affect me much.
Dear Bunkspeed Client:
We want to make you aware of an important and very positive change for Bunkspeed. This notification is intended to provide you sufficient notice to understand your options, evaluate your needs and take any required action during this change.As a valued client, we first and foremost want to thank you for your continued support. We also want to ensure that you have the best experience possible with our brand at all times.We are proud to announce that following the acquisition by Dassault Systèmes, Bunkspeed is now part of Dassault Systèmes SOLIDWORKS and will be renamed SOLIDWORKS Visualize. We are excited about this change which includes the merge into the renowned infrastructure of SOLIDWORKS and team growth. We are using this opportunity to streamline our product offering, rebrand and focus efforts on more concise and valuable solutions based on your feedback and interests. SOLIDWORKS Visualize products will still support other CAD packages alongside other exciting things in the works.Please Note:
- If you are on an active maintenance subscription for Bunkspeed SHOT, you will be eligible for SOLIDWORKS Visualize Standard upon availability.
- If you are on an active maintenance subscription for Bunkspeed MOVE, PRO, ZOOM or DRIVE you will be eligible for SOLIDWORKS Visualize Professional upon availability. (Yes, this means you get some exciting new functionality historically only available in our premium products for free!)
- If you are not on an active maintenance subscription, we will honor the usual upgrade process to the new SOLIDWORKS Visualize products as well.
- After December 31st, 2015, no Bunkspeed products prior to 2014 versions will be supported. License transfers, provision of installers and individualized support for legacy versions will come to an end. This change applies to both standalone and network (floating) licenses.
- Products impacted by this change include: Bunkspeed HyperShot®, HyperMove® and HyperDrive®, Bunkspeed SHOT® 2012 and older, Bunkspeed SHOT PRO®, Bunkspeed MOVE® 2012 and older, Bunkspeed PRO® 2012 and older, Bunkspeed DRIVE® 2012 and older and Bunkspeed POWERBOOST® 2012 and older.
- If you are on an active maintenance subscription plan, you will retain access to your benefits (which will be better than ever now) and you can stay up-to-date including access to SOLIDWORKS Visualize by renewing your maintenance plan now.To learn more about SOLIDWORKS Visualize (formerly Bunkspeed) please visit:To learn more about these changes or if you need further help understanding your options, please contact your Bunkspeed representative/reseller or email: Bunkspeed.NAM.firstname.lastname@example.orgThank you for your continued loyalty and we look forward to serving you with renewed vitality.Best Regards,The Bunkspeed Team
For others who use it on a daily basis, this struck me as a far from great piece of news.
It explains how Dassault Systèmes have acquired Bunkspeed, and how as of the end of this year essentially all connection with existing seats of Bunkspeed will end. So you are forced in to paying out for an upgrade or be cut off. Now it’s not all bad news as the news release states. If you are paying an ongoing maintenance subscription you’ll shuffle up to the nearest appropriate version of the new SolidWorks Visualise. Cool. If however you were running a stand alone seat you’re on your own. May not be a problem, but it could be.
I had initially thought that Bunkspeed was become part of the Solid Works CAD system, but clearly it’s really the name that has changed primarily, and so only the upgrade deadline is the potential kicker. Will we see a migration of users to Keyshot? I think it is quite likely, but not in numbers that will be a problem to Solid Works Visualise, so largely, everyone will be a winner, including Luxion!