Tag: rolex

Rolex Yacht-master II

As a follower of Rolex on Facebook, I was very taken with a new version of the beautiful Yacht-master II they posted. It was called the Blue Ceramic version, and differed slightly from my original incarnations of this time piece.

The shade of blue used on the bezel and face was different, along with the hands. Additionally, the seconds sub-dial has white numerals and markers again a blue backing.

I tweaked my model accordingly and re-rendered it in Keyshot 4.

[fancy_images width=”620″ height=”300″]
[image]http://www.scorpiocgi.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/RolexYachtMasterII_BlueCeramic.90a.jpg[/image]
[/fancy_images]

Lightwave & Radiosity

So I was waiting on a render of my Rolex Yacht-master II the other day, and having read a few posts recently by Dave Jerrard on Facebook about his monstrous 32 core workstation; I commented how a little more horsepower would be nice. The subsequent conversation with him was very interesting in terms of the practical outcome. First, a grab of my render in progress (check out the time remaining!)

[image_frame style=”framed” align=”center” height=”200″ width=”600″]http://www.scorpiocgi.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/rendering.jpg[/image_frame]

Now I know these estimates are not accurate, but none the less when you are waiting on a render, it’s depressing to see. The settings for that render were as below.

[image_frame style=”framed” align=”center” height=”200″ width=”600″]http://www.scorpiocgi.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/settings.jpg[/image_frame]

As you can see Final Gather radiosity was set and interpolated with settings that had worked pretty well on my vehicle renders. It was suggested that what I might want to do would be to use Monte Carlo instead, but WITHOUT interpolation, and with the RPE set really low around 4 or 5. Additionally, given the model I was rendering, the shading and lighting samples while not OTT at 4 would be fine at 1. i also took the opportunity to remove the secondary bounce and to stay with a single bounce.

These were the revised settings.

[image_frame style=”framed” align=”center” height=”200″ width=”600″]http://www.scorpiocgi.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/05_lightwave_rendering.jpg[/image_frame]

The maximum samples value on the camera tab is one that needs to be tested and tweaked for your specific render, but I chose just to stick on 128 and get my render going. What was the upshot? Well the render came home in 3h 22m 53s rendering at 3000 x 2000. Pretty good all in all I thought. A few more minutes on top to get an AO render and a depth pass. Job Done!

[image_frame style=”framed” align=”center” height=”200″ width=”600″]http://www.scorpiocgi.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/3dartist_final_grade.jpg[/image_frame]

So when I thought interpolated must be the quickest way to go is not always true, and in this instance was very much slower.

24K Gold

Having modelled add rendered the various models of Yacht-master II’s in Luxion Keyshot Pro and Bunkspeed Pro, the last combo I found (and probably my favourite) is the 24K gold with black face & bezel.

[fancy_images width=”180″ height=”130″]
[image]http://www.scorpiocgi.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/Clip_31.jpg[/image]
[image]http://www.scorpiocgi.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/watch1.jpg[/image]
[image]http://www.scorpiocgi.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/watch2.jpg[/image]
[/fancy_images]

This is how it stands in Lightwave right now, a much bigger challenge I have to say than both Luxion and Bunkspeed’s renderers!

Rolex Yachtmaster II

I modelled this a few weeks ago, and have been working on shading in Keyshot Pro, Bunkspeed Pro, and Lightwave. Just a few grabs here showing the Lightwave model and some Lightwave renders, as they represent the bigger challenge than Keyshot and Bunkspeed Pro.

First up, a couple of initial and not yet final renders (Keyshot in the case of these two).

[fancy_images width=”280″ height=”175″]
[image]http://www.scorpiocgi.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/ym2_v003.jpg[/image]
[image]http://www.scorpiocgi.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/ym2_v004.jpg[/image]
[/fancy_images]

And below, a sequence of screen grabs showing the modelling progress in Lightwave.

[fancy_images width=”280″ height=”175″]
[image]http://www.scorpiocgi.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/Clip.jpg[/image]
[image]http://www.scorpiocgi.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/Clip_2.jpg[/image]
[image]http://www.scorpiocgi.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/ym2_v001.jpg[/image]
[image]http://www.scorpiocgi.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/Clip_3.jpg[/image]
[image]http://www.scorpiocgi.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/ym2_v002.jpg[/image]
[image]http://www.scorpiocgi.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/Clip_4.jpg[/image]
[/fancy_images]